Apple Just released the new iPhone Firmware 2.2.1 , which is Available from iTunes, the update relays the following improvements:
iPhone 2.2.1 Software Update
This update contains bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
- Improved general stability of Safari
- Fixed issue where some images saved from Mail do not display correctly in the Camera Roll
Products compatible with this software update
A 2.2.1 update for the iPod Touch is also available.
However, The iPhone Dev team released the following video clip to explain why NOT to upgrade now , but wait for the coming versions of Pwnage Tool and QuickPwn.
Apple have released it’s new iPhone firmware update V2.2 today, which included the following updates and new features:
Enhancements to Maps
Google Street View*
Public transit and walking directions
Display address of dropped pins
Share location via email
Decrease in call setup failures and dropped calls
Enhancements to Mail
Resolved isolated issues with scheduled fetching of email
Improved formatting of wide HTML email
Podcasts are now available for download in iTunes application (over Wi-Fi and cellular network)
Improved stability and performance of Safari
Improved sound quality of Visual Voicemail messages
Pressing Home button from any Home screen displays the first Home screen
Preference to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard Settings
Unfortunately , it looks like that there is no new Languages support (i.e Arabic) , even though apple just announced the release of the iPhone 3G in Egypt !
People who own officially unlocked iPhones un-jail-broken and does not care about arabic support can go ahead with the upgrade through iTunes, others would have to wait for the Jail-breaking tools to accommodate this new update.
iPhoneHellas.gr claims that the iPhone 2.2 firmware will become available on November 21st based on what they describe as a “reliable” source. Meanwhile, Gizmodo also describes the iPhoneHellas site as “reliable”.
iPhoneHellas.gr also recaps the new features that have been found to be in the early 2.2 iPhone betas:
- New look for the Safari with the Google search bar now occupying its own space on the title bar
- Toggle On / Off to disable the auto-correction
- 461 Japanese emoji icons
- Support for new languages. (Hopefully arabic support)
- Line-in audio is activated and can be used through the headphone jack
- Google Street View, Google Transit information – Routes public transport, Walking directions, Location sharing.
- App Store: ‘Categories’ now shows the icons of the applications instead of the list, In each page of the application has been added by a button ‘Tell A Friend’ & ‘Report A Problem’, Added the possibility of scoring the application when the user chooses to delete from the device, Added the possibility for direct downloading of podcasts from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store